Match Report | Wimbledon 2 Crewe 2


Match Recap | Wimbledon vs. Crewe Ends in 2-2 Draw

  • Railwaymen fight back from two down again
  • Tabiner and Nevitt on target in dramatic finish
  • Alex end the evening seventh in table

Elliott Nevitt’s 101st-Minute Goal Secures Dramatic Draw for Crewe at AFC Wimbledon

In a thrilling encounter at AFC Wimbledon, Crewe Alexandra secured a hard-fought point, thanks to Elliott Nevitt’s late heroics. Despite falling behind by two goals after Josh Neufville and James Tilley found the net for the hosts, Joel Tabiner pulled one back for Crewe early in the second half.

Nevitt’s dramatic left-footed strike deep into injury time salvaged a precious point for Crewe, showcasing their never-say-die spirit under Lee Bell’s leadership.

Crewe is now unbeaten in three games and currently sits seventh in League Two.

Bell made a single change to the side that triumphed against Forest Green, with Ryan Cooney taking the place of Aaron Rowe, prompting a positional shift for Rio Adebisi as he played as a wide attacker.

Wimbledon, searching for their first home win of the season, started strongly and created early goal-scoring opportunities. Captain Luke Offord and defender Connor O’Riordan made crucial blocks, and Jack Powell’s last-ditch tackle thwarted the Dons.

On the 20th minute, Tabiner and Christopher Long combined well to release Courtney Baker-Richardson down the right flank, but his cross was intercepted by Wimbledon’s goalkeeper, Alex Bass.

Crewe survived a scare when they lost possession in midfield, and Ali Al-Hamadi squared the ball for Tilley. However, keeper Harvey Davies rushed off his line and narrowed the angle, forcing Tilley to shoot wide from a promising position.

Wimbledon broke the deadlock in the 30th minute when Al-Hamadi surged down the right wing and delivered a cross to Neufville at the far post, who made no mistake.

Davies made a crucial save from Charlie Lakin and then dived to his left to deny an Al-Hamadi strike, but he was helpless when Wimbledon added their second in the 38th minute. Crewe failed to clear the danger, and Tilley displayed quick footwork to create space before slotting the ball home from close range.

Davies made a point-blank save from an Al-Hamadi header, while Tabiner’s dipping volley missed the target at the other end before halftime.

O’Riordan couldn’t continue and was replaced by Zac Williams at halftime, prompting a formation change to 3-5-2 for Crewe.

In the 51st minute, Crewe pulled one back as Cooney delivered a superb cross met by the charging Tabiner, who clinically finished first-time.

The game tightened up, prompting Bell to introduce Nevitt in place of Connor Thomas just after the hour mark.

Both teams created chances, with Wimbledon seeking a third goal. Omar Bugiel headed over from a corner, and Neufville shot wide after beating his marker.

Mickey Demetriou made an outstanding block to deny Al-Hamadi, while substitute Aron Sasu fired a shot over the bar in the closing stages.

Crewe piled on pressure in injury time and appeared to have found a late winner when Williams bundled the ball into the net from a corner. However, the assistant referee raised his flag for offside.

Undeterred, Crewe continued to press, and in the 101st minute, Nevitt lashed the ball home from just inside the box, securing a dramatic equalizer.

Wimbledon (4-4-2): Bass; Ogundere, Lewis, Johnson, Currie (Sasu, 74); Tilley (Davison, 90+2), Lakin, Ball (Pell, 74), Neufville (Brown, 83); Bugiel (Evans, 90+2), Al-Hamadi.

Subs not used: Tzanev, Pearce.

Booked: Ogundere, Lakin

Crewe (4-2-3-1): Davies; Cooney (Rowe, 72), O’Riordan (Williams, 46), Offord, Demetriou; Powell (White, 85), Thomas (Nevitt, 62); Tabiner, Long, Adebisi (Finney, 85); Baker-Richardson.

Subs not used: Booth, Holicek, Rowe.

Booked: White, Rowe.

Referee: Lewis Smith.

Attendance: 8,137 (619).

Leave a Comment