Hewes Secures Equalizer Against Monmouth Men's Soccer Holds to a 1-1 Draw at Home


Hewes Secures Equalizer Against Monmouth Men’s Soccer Holds to a 1-1 Draw at Home

Football News, football news today live, soccer news transfer, transfer

PHILADELPHIA – The University of Pennsylvania men’s soccer team maintained their undefeated streak at home with a hard-fought 1-1 draw against Monmouth on Tuesday evening.

Forward Michael Hewes delivered the game-tying equalizer in the 64th minute, breaking Monmouth’s clean sheet and securing the Quakers’ fourth draw of the season. Penn’s season record now stands at 3-3-4 (1-1-1 Ivy League), while Monmouth holds a record of 5-3-4 (2-1-2 CAA).

Key Highlights

  • Penn’s impressive home unbeaten streak continues, extending back to the 2021 season.
  • In addition to Hewes’ crucial goal, Stas Korzeniowski, Aaron Messer, Erickson Sakalosky, and Michael teDuits made valiant attempts at the Monmouth goalkeeper.
  • Goalkeeper Nick Christoffersen displayed remarkable performance, making four saves during the game, lowering his goals-against-average to 0.88 and increasing his save percentage to 0.736.
  • Freshmen Joaquin Niehenke and Jack-Ryan Jeremiah achieved significant playing time, with Niehenke on the field for 41 minutes and Jeremiah for 22 minutes.

Match Summary Monmouth controlled the first half, taking an early lead and restricting the Red and Blue to just one shot on goal.

Around the 12-minute mark, senior Christoffersen made his first save of the game after Monmouth fired a shot at the center of the goal. Shortly thereafter, during the 15th minute, Jakob Friedman of Monmouth managed to get a shot past Christoffersen, putting Monmouth ahead 1-0. The Hawks continued to pressure the Quaker goalkeeper, but Christoffersen regained his composure, making his second save of the night in the 17th minute.

Korzeniowski attempted to ignite the Quaker offense with back-to-back shots in the 18th and 19th minutes, but both were deflected before reaching the target.

In the 43rd minute, sophomore Sakalosky produced Penn’s first shot on goal, but it was thwarted by Monmouth’s goalkeeper, Eryk Dymora, concluding the first half with the Hawks in the lead by one.

The second half began quietly for both teams, with Monmouth making high shots above the goal in the 58th and 59th minutes.

During the 61st minute, senior teDuits registered the first shot on goal for Penn in the second half, but it was intercepted by Dymora. teDuits’ shot appeared to ignite the offense, as Korzeniowski unleashed a shot on the goalkeeper that was blocked but not saved, allowing senior Hewes to capitalize and score his fourth goal of the season in the 64th minute, equalizing the game at 1-1.

Following Hewes’ goal, the Quakers attempted to maintain momentum, with Charlie Gaffney, Hewes, and Messer taking shots, all of which were thwarted by Monmouth’s defense before reaching the target.

Junior Messer made an attempt to break the tie with a little over two minutes left in the game, taking a quick shot on goal, but the Monmouth goalkeeper prevailed, leaving the final score at 1-1.

What’s Next Penn returns to Ivy League action on Saturday, embarking on a journey to Providence for a 7 p.m. match against Brown at Stevenson-Pincince Field.




Leave a Comment